Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Not So Worried About Science...as I Am About Magic

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Whittier on July 11, 2002 06:09:23 UTC

Your example

Hi Paul
Your example is convincing. Still, science runs behind society's ability to generate bigger problems. What I was worried about is raw mental power more than the careful, cautious habits of science. While scientists care about creating value, someone else is taking short cuts with the power which a scientist created with a lifetime of painstaking work and not taking those shortcuts.
I don't mind finding "shortcuts" that are well-designed but the disregard which most persons are capable of showing for the Biosphere's sustainability is quite alarming.
And especially, it is worrisome that folks seek power more than wisdom, for they can indeed do miracles but many of those miracles might have terrible side effects if they rush to exercise their power and influence without the wisdom and
mindfulness which scientists very often exhibit.
And here is where I invoke Jesus' name.
He said the path is narrow. It is certainly not the only application of the idea, but it also does apply to the idea that a mistake in highly sophisticated calculations can produce terrible explosions.
I must yield the floor now.
Thank You for the tension on the rope.
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins