Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Your Title Gives Me A Wonderful Opportunity To Be Sarcastic

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on July 8, 2002 20:51:53 UTC

But I'll pass this time.

***1, 5, 5, 1, 9, 6

Do you think the above sequence of numbers is random or not?***

Taken alone, as an isolated series, perhaps. But if the process by which they were created and typed was not random, then no. You have to look at the bigger picture.

***You can't have a random set of numbers without a conscious human being thinking about them.***

Why not? Is it physically impossible for the universe to behave in a truly random fashion at the subatomic level?

***Can you defeat the computer to prove to yourself that you really have free will? Of course you can so what does that mean? It means no such computer can possibly exist. The 'predetermined' possibility is already eliminated.***

That's misleading and slippery language. It's entirely possible that the future is set but still unknowable to us. (I might add that the computer would still know the method by which you would attempt to defeat it if it truly 'knew' your brain)

***So free will is really the act of creating actualities out of possibilities...***

That's a bad definition. Natural, non-sentient systems can produce this effect as well.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins