Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Aaron, You Put The 'fun' In 'fundamentalist Dogma'

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on July 3, 2002 02:19:39 UTC

Title paraphrased from The Simpsons...

Anyway, Aaron, if God is all-powerful, why did he design us with flaws? If he created us and can see the future, why will he punish us for flaws he created and foresaw? Why this roundabout method of creation?

I have to say, Aaron, that the more you post the more you remind me of the stereotypical fundamentalist: more interested in oversimplifying and caricaturing the other side than providing any actual arguments.

I forgot who said this, but it was something along the lines of "The more I study of religion, the more I am convinced than man has never worshiped anything but himself." There is a lot of truth in this. Consider the basic tenets of fundamentalism: the universe was created for man's sake, we are the most precious of God's creatures, God loves us infinitely, God will burn those who disagree with us, etc., etc. Does this not sound more like a spoiled, bratty child who wants everything to revolve around him than it does someone who genuinely respects and admires God? I can't tell with you, but most fundamentalists I've met don't worship God so much as the abase themselves and brown-nose.

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

(Epicurus)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins