Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What Do You Mean?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on June 20, 2002 13:36:20 UTC

Harv,

>>>"Bring Our Discussion To The Top"

I've got the common sense of a brick, so it's lucky I found it!

>>>"Ontology is simply a discussion of 'what is'."

Well, though I felt I may have been somewhat murky about this concept, I didn't think I was that far off. Naturally, your characterization here has made me snoop around the internet for a bit, just to see what I could find...

Some sites directly equate ontology to metaphysics, which seems to be an oversimplified definition for my tastes. Other sites lend a much more thorough understanding of the term: ontology is the branch of metaphysics that accepts the underlying question of metaphysics: "does an external reality exist independent of our consciousness of it?" That is, ontology is a considration based on an affirmative answer to this question.

Obviously, if an ontologist doesn't step back and examine this assumption, he will consider statements like "ontology is simply a discussion of 'what is'" to be a fair starting point.

This is much like the stopping point we'd come to in our discussions of agnosticism. You demanding I state my creed; I explaining agnosticism is NOT a creed (since a creed rejecting all creeds would be a paradox).

>>>"The consequence of accepting the existence of 'meaning' is, from what I can tell, an admission of some form of theism (i.e., meaning requires some form of Sentience which you said so yourself)."

It is this basis I'm trying to examine. However, it seems to me we'll never get beyond where we are right now.

-LH

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins