Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Think My Analogy Was A Good One

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 11, 2002 15:59:26 UTC

Hi Mario,

***H: "Haven't lived in a Muslim country, but I have visited Muslim countries. However, I don't see your point. Have all atheists lived in an atheist country?" The difference is you're presenting your idea here as valid due to its psychological usefulness whereas atheists/agnostics aren't making a statement (usually) about the way life 'should' be.***

My point to Tom is that we cannot dismiss our philosophical position about religion in general simply because we don't have day to day experience of one particular religion, anymore than we should deny a particular philosophical position (e.g., atheism) simply because we haven't lived in an atheist society. I did not defend Islam's psychological usefulness, but rather I defended an Islam core that there are treasures to the religion that should be shared among all people. I'm not too familiar with Islam, but I have read enough important writers to see that it does have treasures that we can all benefit from. Rejecting these treasures simply because of sociological effects is not a good means to make a judgement. We have to look at the merit of each religion from the people who know their own treasures. If they want to cite non-appealing attributes (from our perspective) then it won't be effective in passing those memes to us. Over time, we generally propagate the most appealing memes of our beliefs which also happen to translate into higher principles of that religion.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins