Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
My Name Is Mr. Pearson And If You're A Scientist...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on June 6, 2002 16:08:39 UTC

Anonymous Rich wrote wrote;
"Michael, I Don't Think Many Scientists throw evolution into the forum of sociology. That's for other people to do."

RESPONSE:
Well, what IS sociobiology ? Is it part of evolutionary science? Anonymous Rich says no, apparently.

Let's pretend I'm really upset about being tossed out of a science education program by folks who talk like you, and that suddenly something snapped and I have to vent!

Anonymous Rich, I don't know if you are just unfamiliar with mainstream biology or whether you are a propagandist trying to throw folks off the trail of science.
That statement you made didn't make much sense from the standpoint of grammar, science, or the communications model. Tell the truth, Rich -- were you drunk when you wrote it? Do you notice it has all those major flaws?
While we're at it, Rich -- you claimed a few days ago to be incapable of lying. Do you admit writing that?

Anonymous Rich also wrote:
"I'd like to know the sources of those quotes you supplied in your post. Are those scientists that do work regarding evolution?"

I can't even attribute YOUR remarks because you're anonymous, and you're asking for attribution? Very funny, Anonymous Rich.
But assuming you did have a name, your question would be more reasonable... a little.
The reason I didn't attribute them was they were satiric and slightly humorous. It's also true that humorous cartoons in science don't require attribution.

The statements in quotation marks were satiric points which were composites of:
1) the logical next steps of ideas I've seen posted here. Their sources aren't working in evolutionary biology.
2) oral discussions of evolution I've witnessed
which were by folks in science education
3) books and articles I've read about the history of science, usually found in bookstores and libraries. They don't teach this stuff in Biodogma 301. But biology as now taught leaves an enormous hole for folk wisdom and delusions to fill in the ramifications for human society of evolutionary theory. It's one reason our society's policy has had, for decades, a partial disconnect on the environment.
I can attribute that statement, in part, to Garrett Hardin's essays on Carrying Capacity and Cultural Carrying Capacity.

Anonymous Rich went on some more:
"And be extremely careful when using the term evolutionist. That covers an extremely large group of people."

Response: (Reverent Hush) Okay, Anonymous Rich.
I'll be extremely careful...like you are! I've seen you use the term "evolutionist" in the most general ways within the past week. Apparently, conversing with some folks on this list has given you a new attitude toward precision in language. Who was it? I'm glad to see it! Now if you can stay on the wagon.
Shall I be on your sobriety team? Call me when you are thinking of returning to the habits you brought to this forum from your previous life of
intoxication!
By your system, you would not call Stormcrow an "evolutionist," would you? He's studying to be an electrical engineer and has never been a professional biologist.

Anonymous Rich also offered
"I am very careful when noting the works of YEC'ers, not just Christians."

Very nice.

Anonymous Rich also said,
"Your conflict seems to be with people who are mispeaking about evolution, not evolution itself."

Nice observation! It was always people. I've never even seen "evolution" speaking. It's cruel, wasteful and aimless, but never misspeaking.

Anonymous Rich,you have provided a lively counterpart in a quest for honest science!

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins