Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Sam Be Extremely Weiry Of Taking Quotes...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rich on June 5, 2002 17:07:36 UTC

from ICR. They have been known to take quotes well out of context. Just as you accidently did previously, I can assure you that this is the same case. However, never being too happy with details, I will look some of these up in their original text. This way, you can find out what they were saying.

I could take a quote out of a relativity book I'm reading regarding the speed of light.
~"Imagine yourself in a spaceship flying at 3/4 the speed of light. You then look out the window and notice an object passing you at a rate of 3/4 the speed of light. So when you add the velocities, the speed of that object is 1.5 times the speed of light."
Then taking that quote and throwing out all of Relativity because of it, disregarding how the author then goes to say...
~"However, at speeds near that of light, velocity addition is not that which works for low speeds..." then going into how to calculate the speed of the object passing you.

ICR and various YEC people have been known for taking people out of context, such as ICR does with that article with Massimo Pigliucci's quote. That is taken out of context. If you listen to the debate with Pigliucci and Hovind, you hear him talk about that. I recommend that you double check you quote sources, especially from YEC sources. They've been known to generate wild conclusions from grossly misquotations of scientists.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins