Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Reduction

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 4, 2002 21:52:03 UTC

Richard,

I think most people believe in the results of science (scientists), but this is because these results are an extension of what we have experienced. For example, we all experience the success of science, therefore we are apt to give science credit and think that 'science is onto something'. That is, we reduce the announcements of science to our experience with 'science is onto something' and thereby form the conclusion that science is mostly right. It is our experience that is the layman's judgement. If our experience starts to be contradicted (e.g., young earth creationist ideology starts creating massive amounts of technology), then we might begin to trust other avenues for knowledge acquisition. In fact, this still occurs when people believe in fortune tellers, astrologers, numerologists, etc. Experiences might lead for laymen to consider others as expert. In fact, this is what I suspect has led Sam and Aaron to think the creationists are more accurate than evolutionary biology. Their fundamentalist experience somehow has led them to believe in creationist 'experts' as more reliable than the vast collection of evolutionary scientists.

*** I am just an Old Creationist.***

Everyone is a 'creationist' depending how one defines God. I think you believe in the gradual emergence of life. The question is if you are an ID'er (Intelligent Design proponent) or not?

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins