Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"spurred From" Is Not In My Lexicon Of Science

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on June 4, 2002 17:15:55 UTC

500 BC Mencius, Lao Tzu, Buddha, Confucius

Could Jesus's teaching have been influenced by
folks who went before, in his own and other lands?

Certainly it was important for him to speak a language understood in His time ( I capitalize His in a similar way I capitalize U.S. Constitution, which also is subject to interpretation ).

Certainly it was necessary to use phrases and idioms understandable to persons living in His time.

Certainly He must have discussed matters of importance to human beings rather than to giant gas bag beings on the planet Beemp.

What "spurred" Buddha ? Goodness I suppose.
Did Buddha's story reach Jesus' culture. I expect it did. I think the story of Jesus goes beyond Buddha's. Our Prince Gautama was born wealthy and enjoyed a marriage before voluntarily entering a life of moderate austerity and teaching. His times and country were not invaded by a powerful, somewhat atheist military government. He died an old man after a nice meal.
Jesus' story puts the son of man in a more difficult birth and life, and ends the way so many have ended...tragically. But the message is that tragedy is being conquered on the other side and that victory is within your reach.
I'm not a theological writer, just summarizing.

Supposedly, Jesus said He was the son of man....and he also referred to himself as Mary's son. According to the story, the Pharisees felt he performed in ways which suggested He was either the son of God or was referring to himself as such. I can accept the story as a son of man who somehow seems to be operating from another realm...one from which the universe came.
Why should it not be possible? And in the story, He has marked a path, a doorway...subject to interpretation, of course.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins