Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Getting Deeper At The Crux Of The Issue

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on June 3, 2002 22:06:01 UTC

Sam,

***My church could care less. Like I said, I don't even know their position on evolution. My parents would be very suprised, because the creation\evolution debate is one of my loves. But my parents would allow me to believe it. They do not force me to believe creation.***

Then what holds you back? Why do you think that all the light from the most distant parts of the universe arrived to earth all within 6,000 years? Keep in mind that all the photons ever measured travels within the 300k/m/s. Why hold to something as ridiculous as that if you do not feel bound to loyalty in doing so? Come one, don't let poor reasoning hold you back. You owe more to yourself than living in a make believe world. Accept the facts and move on with your life.

***H: "You already do that when you say that the 'four corners of the earth' is not literally meaning that the earth is a square shape." S: I believe the four corners of the earth is a way of saying North, south, east and west. Perhaps 'corners' was misenterpreted and meant origanaly winds, or something of the sort.***

And, I believe that 'days' in Genesis can be interpreted to mean 'periods' of Creation. There's plenty of biblical evidence that the term 'day' could mean something other than 12 hours or 24 hours. You are simply interpreting the Bible in a manner that is unreasonable and highly subjective to what you find literal or open for wide interpretation.

***I'm not putting any 'constraints on Christianity'. You can be a Christian and believe in evolution. I know several. In fact, in my previous church, which we attended for 10 years,
the majority of people believed evolution.
You are right that in the whole salvation message creation is not that important. But I am not in this forum to argue salvation. I am arguing creation\evolution.***

That's good to hear. However, I still think that a very thick wall is preventing you from grasping simple scientific facts. It can't be intelligence since I think you are intelligent enough to understand the basic facts, it can't be lack of education since you've already been exposed to a decent amount of knowledge that completely defeats the creationist view, and it can't be pet theories since you don't appear to have any of your own making. Therefore, that leaves only one possibility. You are sold on dogma that must come from somewhere. You say it's not your church, fine. But, it is coming from somewhere. I'd like to know the source and why you think it's worth being irrational to maintain it.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins