Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Mind/brain Principle

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by %%% on November 23, 1999 21:50:58 UTC

: : A major branch of philosophy examines whether or not our brains (organ controling senses, body - sorry I don't mean to insult your intelligence, I'm just making a distinction here) is something entirely separate from our minds (thoughts emotions). I may be oversimplifying here, but I like to pose broad questions.

: : I always found this troubling, because although there seemed to be a direct link between our brains and our physical world (our brain is made of matter), what exactly constitutes a thought? Is it just electrical impulses? If our brain/mind was identical, then in theory, it should be possible to configure atoms to form an idea/concept. This didn't sound quite right to me (or maybe I'm way off). This branch of philosophy (which is pretty old) is often used as possible evidence for a soul.

: : Any thoughts?

: : P.S. this forum needs some fresh ideas... bad.

: Beelzebub: : Yeah a thought is nothing more than pure matter! An electrical, chemical impulse...that is our thinking and feeling! That is obviously and logical...and divine! : Intelligence, knowledge, creativity, love, pain, etc. that all are worldly things, our souls are locked up in mortal bodys and cannot interact with the physical world (they only remember what they have seen). : Yeah we can form ideas (thoughts) by configuring atoms. Computer science and biology work already together to create more than simple brain-simulations. „Soon“ computers can really think...and even more: The will carry souls! Why not? A flesh-brain or a plastic-brain both are mortal...both are God’s „children“. : That sounds perhaps terrible and evil but it’s natural and divine...the earth is not the center of the universe!

But even the medicine corporation considers the existence of a mind and a soul. They have many explanations for justifying this distinction.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins