Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
My Other Responses Were Mostly Real Too

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on June 2, 2002 06:20:58 UTC

There are really a lot of errors and cliche's in that post. It's not even Your best work.

To say you'd actually "like to see (them) fry"
is not a very good thing to say.

Just will address the last point. I'm not paid to tutor you.
the exchange was:

:Mario quoting Robertson:"I am bound by the laws of the United States and all 50 states...I am not bound by any case or any court to which I myself am not a party...I don't think the Congress of the United States is subservient to the courts...They can ignore a Supreme Court ruling if they so choose."
..........In The Washington Post, June 27,1986

I am: "Fine points of the law. Your point is not made here. You must show you understand the subtlety or you're just blurring the issue."

Mario: "Fine points of the law? Fine points? Congress CAN NOT override a supreme court ruling, particularly if they find something to be unconstitutional. The supreme court is the supreme law of the land. Read the constitution. There is no subtlety or blurring here. Robertson is 100%, completely wrong."

1) We ALWAYS capitalize specific references to the U.S. Supreme Court even if we don't say "U.S."

2) We ALWAYS capitalize specific references to the U.S. Constitution even if we don't say "U.S."

3) The Court decides specific cases, giving reasons which can specifically impact other, similar cases in various states. But they do not make laws per se. They are Supreme in many senses but are co-equal with Congress and the administrative branch (which as far as I know, does not have to be capitalized, though President should be in specific references).

4) Congress cannot override the Supreme Court, as you say. He was wrong to say they can ignore a Supreme Court ruling, even though it's true. To do so in some cases would be ignorant, and they would be heading into shallow waters with a vulnerable ship. But certainly many in Congress ARE ignorant of various Supreme Court rulings. It is as easy as drinking beer at breakfast.
If you.

5) If he meant that Congress would literally ignore the Supreme Court ruling on a matter where the two branches disagreed, what can be done? The Congress is a tiny branch of government. It is the Administrative branch that carries out the laws. So if Congress ignores a Supreme Court ruling on a law, it means that law should not be enforced.

Mario, you didn't do any better than Pat Robertson on that one.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins