Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
However, Most People Aren't Capable Of It...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Rich on June 2, 2002 04:13:19 UTC

Stormcrow, we are a rare bunch. Buddhists see life as suffering. When I was completely ignorant of Buddhism, I thought that meant they were pessimists. It was the other way around, though. Look how well Buddhism has done in the world, not too well.

People are in general, foolish, weak, and ignorant. To think that they amount to very little isn't enough for them to be happy. Some turn to drugs, some material goods, and most others to religion. They need a purpose. But most importantly, they need to know "It's going to be alright."

Your ability to be happy, which parallels my state of mind, is an amiable quality. It is also a rare quality. It's like one day this winter when I was waiting for the elevator to go to the gym after work, no stairs to go up, people were complaining how it was going to be cold the next couple of days. I looked at them and said, this has been the warmest winter of all-time, can't you appreciate that? Most people can't. I'm glad you can. I'm glad I can. Sometimes, though, I think it must be real nice to have faith. Delusion is a powerful drug.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins