Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Nice... Keeping Me On My Toes No Doubt

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on November 22, 1999 17:07:21 UTC

bzrd here: Studies have shown that there are no such thing as "vestigal organs" in the human body. For ex., the appendix has been shown to play a role in digestion as well as the immune system. I was watching the Discovery channel the other night, they showed these two pythons mating, the male had two spurs located on his body that the narrator catagorized as "vestigal legs" that were some sort of evolutionary artifact. He failed to mention, that if this were true, then it would represent a loss of information within the python genome. Conversely, in order for some ancestor of the python to sprout legs, one assumes it would be a gradualistic process that would entail many generations of pythons having partially formed "leglets". Where is the fossil evidence of partially formed legs, wings, eyes, ears etc.?

hello bzrd,

Call me slow, but how do vestigal organs point to a loss in information? And what could be the function of tiny gill slits in certain stages of embryonic development in humans?

Again, just because the "in between" forms haven't been found in some cases, we have seen remarkable interspecies transitions through the fossil record. Again, I cite inference as a tool.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins