Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Can Anyone Say..... Sanctimonious

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on May 29, 2002 17:43:21 UTC

"Why does the ability to see the future not let us have free will? We do what we want, God does not stop us, but he sees what is going to happen. The future is being made right now with our choices, but God saw it from the begining."

I think Mario is saying that if God knows what is going to happen before we do it, then we don't really have free will. If God knows that I am going to murder somebody on Aug. 23 2009, then what choice do I have but to committ murder on that day. How can I change the outcome of my destiny if God has already predicted my future. Why would God have a plan for anyone that included suffering, torture, murder, depression, genetic disorder, starvation, genocide, rape, molestation, or feelings of perpetual insecurity? What good are those things doing for God? Many leading theorists are describing most of those above mentioned things as chemical imbalances uncontrollable by the person. I could choose to murder someone out of passion or anger, but do all depressed people choose to feel pain, suffering, and isolation. Is that a little extra bonus that God through in as part of the package deal for us humans?

I happen to think what Mario says makes perfect sense, and the only way around it is through circular logic.

"God did not deisgn us with any flaws. When you sin, it is totally your choice. If you did not sin your whole life, you would go to heaven. Only Jesus has done that."

Jesus never sinned? How can you be so sure about that? What if Jesus was just a man? What if Jesus was human with flaws and all, but had an outlook on life that was filled with peace and tolerance? Maybe his disciples, in order to spread the word, took a little creative license with the life of Christ. Maybe, just maybe, people would listen and better understand stories or parables better than the philosophical truth of what Jesus spoke of.

I suppose you could go on having FAITH that Jesus was a superman with supernatural powers, but to me that is the easy way out.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins