Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Harv, You Write Softly And Genially

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on May 28, 2002 17:47:41 UTC

but as you have represented yourself as
1) having the same religion as me -and-
2) being agnostic...
it is rather bold of you to write...

Harv:
"The 'how' and 'when' are science questions, and generally we shouldn't see any difference in answers between an atheist and a theist. The 'why' is where an atheist and a theist tend to diverge. The theist believes that there is a 'mind' and 'purpose' to many of the events of the past, whereas an atheist generally regards the events as 'matters of fact' having no reason (i.e., no 'mind') for being this fact of matter versus another fact of matter."

Response:
1)
We SHOULD see major differences in "how and when" because their self-expressed versions are greatly different. Your desire to reconcile the two camps is nice but that's about all.

And...both camps may assert the importance of mind. Atheists may find the past purposeless, as you say, but will state it was by missing the opportunity to apply mind that this state of affairs occurred.

I don't know where you get your information, but maybe you should see if you can get your money back.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins