Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Not Talking About Formal Education

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on May 26, 2002 14:43:23 UTC

I know that you and Aaron are young guys. I don't give a dang about formal education. We all know that there are many idiots in school who slow the progress of intelligent minds, and that one learns much more on their own than in class (i.e., assuming science is your passion).

However, what I mean by studying science is not learning science, but understanding how science works and the philosophy behind it. Both you and Aaron demonstrate a severe lack of understanding of science. More than once you have cited ignorance as an excuse to deny all scientific knowledge. I get from your posts that if we don't know the exact details of how the sun works (which we don't), then it must be operated by God and that there are no physical mechanisms to explain its operation. If science operated under this assumption we wouldn't have reached the scientific era.

The unobservable is very difficult to understand and it takes a long and arduous path to find things out. Science doesn't need people looking over their shoulders saying "ah, your hypothesis won't account for this phenomena, it is garbage, etc". What science needs is investment, new minds coming into it to promote future science, and a society that is eager and open-minded to the results that it is able to provide. This will almost necessarily contradict our religious, cultural, and emotional proclivities, but ascend the mountain of truth we must.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins