Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Magnetic Braking

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on May 26, 2002 14:23:52 UTC

Let me quote Tomisaka ("Evolution of Angular Momentum Distribution during Star Formation", K. Tomisaka, 1999):

"Spin angular momentum must be reduced to account for our observations. Two mechanisms have been proposed. One is to transfer the cloud spin angular momentum to the orbital angular momentum of binary or multiple protostars if they are made by fission. The other possibility is magnetic braking, in which angular momentum is transferred to the ambient medium by the magnetic stress".

The magnetic braking hypothesis seems to be the most promising. It was introduced in 1978 by L. Spitzer Jr ("Physical Processes in the Interstellar Medium", Wiley, New York, section 13.3). Nakano (MNRA, 242, 535, 1990) suggested that the coupling between gas and the magnetic properties of the stellar cloud is not only enough to account for the transfer of angular momentum, but also later evolution of angular momentum issues.

I don't know if this hypothesis is correct. We know that stellar disks are forming out there, we know that within 20 years of observation that light can begin to emanate from previous non-illuminated nebula regions, and we know the stellar cloud dissipates quickly (maybe less than 1 my). We just need to become familiar with the mechanisms. Maybe even dark matter or dark energy play a role, these are all issues that need to be understood.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins