Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Though You Are Mistaken, Are You Wrong?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Box Holder on May 25, 2002 17:32:52 UTC

Mario's interesting question
(I'm paraphrasing it) was whether
a religion can be true if its science is false.
I don't think the answer is a blunt yes or no.
But religion can wander astray if they practice the lying arts the way many folks do who were without a compass from "God."

My estimate and observation after years of listening to each side: Creation science is a gambit to buy time.
Their efforts in criticizing science may even
help mainstream science straighten out a few details.
Biology has no comprehensive plan for life and could never, since biology must help measure the results of the plans of others.
I would like to see them take note:
humans overpopulate the earth. Some religions do so more than others. Atheism was a terrible polluter in the old Soviet Union. Pantheism seems to remain at a very low level of technology.
Evangelistic Christians for years practiced the lying arts to avoid being better environmental stewards. Jews are considered to have various traits but are not very numerous. Europeans who are a mix of pagan, Christian, and personal smorgasboards of beliefs have some of the most
advanced approaches to stewardship, and they are also very high consumers of biosphere's productivity.
Biology and science would lose their objectivity if the science pretended to prescribe spiritual plans, but on the level of resource sustainability, they'd better have something for us soon.
Why they
Creationists sometimes seize the talking stick from the speaker when they realize the speaker was right all along about something and the Creationists were wrong This is what's neat about believing God loves you best. You get to act like a spoiled sibling.
Why they waste time with some of the lying arts against evolution (debating ploys rather than serious objectivity), I don't know...but suspect they believe the spriritual
content of life depends on their defeating
mainstream science. Seems odd..
but when you realize humans have behaved like savage beasts who practice the lying arts,
one game is almost as good as the other.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins