Notice: session_start(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php5) failed: Permission denied (13) in /home/astro/websites/astronomynet/htdocs/sitewide.php on line 4 Yeah Yeah Yeah - an Astronomy Net God & Science Forum Message
Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on May 23, 2002 17:48:43 UTC

"Well, sorry you feel that way Scott, but I am not trying to annoy you or anything. I'm just enjoying
debating in this forum, I always love a good debate"

Here is a question for you. What is the scientific explanation, in your mind, of the origins of the first cell. Remember I am asking you a scientific question. Just saying God did it is not going to cut the mustard. How did God do it with respect to tangible, observable, empirical evidence? Where is the science to support your beliefs? Did God put the mitochondria in first or second? In plant cells, did God purposely make the chlorophyll so that it would reflect green light. How about those beautiful anthocyanin and carotenoid pigments - don't they display such wonderful yellows, oranges, and reds? Where did they come from? Did God just arrange them in that order? If so, what is the point of any science? In fact, why try to answer any questions in this world? Maybe we should just go back to superstitionism, shamanism, and paganism - those don't require any tangible evidence either.

For the last time (probably not, but it sounds good) - God exists!! In my mind and in my belief. The dilema is that science is not able to prove or disprove an existence in God. Even if the cell was created and designed by a God, how could you ever scientifically prove it? Just becasue things appear as though they were designed doen't mean you can prove they were.

I understand where you are coming from in your beliefs. I have spent ample time wading through your website (ICR) the past few days, and have come to a conclusion. I haven't been wrong in my belief about the nature of science. Evolution is a work in progress, so is astronomy, geology, and all sciences in general. Creationism is based on the assumption that the story in genesis is absolute law and can be supported by science. Most of that support comes in the form of statements like this "A human being is more complex than a watch and you don't see watches popping up randomly". That is not scientifically supporting creationism - that is an illogical statement made in an attempt to discredit evolution. It is a bad one at that. Other claims are of apparent order in the solar system and universe. The order we see is our rational minds categorizing things in order to be understood logically. You are not thinking deeply enough about the world and the universe. You are seeing things in terms of black/white and absolutes. Science doesn't operate in terms of absolutes, at least evolutionary biology doesn't.

I can't put it any other way. I have shown you my stance and you have shown me yours. According to your websites, the conversion of evolution to creation is well under way and should be complete in a few years. You will feel vindicated when your side wins, won't you.

The problem is that there are people like me in the world to fight your unscientific beliefs. "I" will always exist and promote skepticism and weed out pseudo-science. I am an educator of sorts and I talk to masses of people. I have an influence on the issue - do you? Other than this forum, my guess is no. I will be teaching people the true nature of science - not necessarily always evolution, but the operations of science and how it is conducted accurately. It is not about "my" side and "your" side - it is about having evidence that supports a theory. Telling people God created something may be true, but can never be proven in science. Nothing in science is ever proven, only disproven or used to support or revise a theory. Do you understand? God CANNOT be a part of science. If creationism dates and times are supported by evidence then that is great - it means science is working. But I guarentee you, science will never accept God in its equations no matter how obvious it is to you and me - it will never happen. If it does then that is the end of true and pure science.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins