Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Very.... Evasive

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on May 21, 2002 00:43:55 UTC

"What evolutionists like to pretend they can't understand is that evolution needs to create "new" genetic information so that eventually, a dog would become something other than a dog--which wouldn't happen in, well, a million years!"

Why not? What are genes? Sequences of A's, G's, C's, and T's (U's) - Are you telling me that through mutation, sexual reproduction, and genetic crossover that a species cannot change its genetic make-up to acclimate itself to its environment? The thing that creationists don't grasp or even understand is that we are all the same. We are all variations of the some primitive organism that lived 3.8 billion years ago. We have been diversifying and radiating for hundreds of millions of years into the forms that we take today. You are right - a dog can only have a dog. But what happens when a certain
segment of the dog population becomes isolated (reproductively) from other members of the population and is under different environmental stresses. Certain members will have advantages over other members. Are you identical to every other human being on the planet? Do you possess, say, better intelligence? How about strength? How about speed? How about tool usage? What if those attributes allowed you to better adapt to your surroundings? Would the gene pool then flow into a different direction? Subtle changes in gene frequencies will change an entire population given enough time. The dogs you speak of will not give birth one day to a rat!! The genotypes will change so slowly that even the dogs will not realize they are changing. You are missing the point entirely and it makes me think you have never read Darwin or Russell.

"That's one of several hundred thousand problems with the evolutionary theory--no satisfactory mechanism for creating new genetic information."

Environmental pressures + sexual reproduction + time = change in gene frequency!! Have you ever taken an introductory biology course or an ecology course? This is 101 level stuff.

"DNA cannot function without at least 75 preexisting proteins, but proteins are produced by instructions in DNA! It would appear that DNA and the more than 75 necessary proteins for DNA were "created" simultaneously"

So you think that DNA replicates and transcribes itself today, in eukaryotic cells, exactly as it did 3.8 billion years ago. You have no concepts of the limits of science do you? Yes, DNA codes for proteins and we see a very ordered and conservative view of cellular function in today’s organisms. Even in prokaryotic organisms we see complex order, but an order that has been tinkering with itself for billions of years. It is too bad that the first organisms did not lend themselves to being fossilized very easily with replication mechanisms intact. That would be great for science. Unfortunately they didn't and what we have to go on is a puzzle that is only 1/100 the way put together (and that is probably a liberal estimate). I am just as skeptical as you, but I understand the nature of science - unlike many of the creationist folk in here.

Questions for you -
Is there a picture of God somewhere? Does anyone have an interview taped with God explaining the creation - adequately and step by step in today's scientific language? Can you please explain heaven to me from a first person recollection? Do you have any concrete proof of the existence of God that could stand up to scientific scrutiny? If you did and it confirmed Christianity then why are there so many Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindu's? I got it - conspiracy, right? Trying to keep you down! It is a matter of faith and there is nothing scientific about it. Please tell me you have something scientific to offer the scientific community concerning the creation story other than poking holes in evolutionary theory. That is so old... any scientist would happily admit that evolutionary theory is not nearly complete and has a way to go. That is the beauty of science, but you couldn't understand that because you don't understand the nature or the purpose of science.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins