Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Unbelievable!!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on May 15, 2002 22:46:03 UTC

"Umm.......How is that? You have proven me to not be scientific? Please clarify."

Could you be any more vague with your comments? I have said over and over that God cannot be a part of any scientific theory. The great flood is based on biblical accounts of creation. Hence it assumes that God caused this flood. You still are not able to admit that you may be wrong and would change when presented with new evidence. I have stated numerous times that I would change my views of evolution if new evidence came to light. Why are you not able to do this? Is it because you're chained to a literal interpretation of the bible that will not allow you to change? Is the earth flat and at the center of the universe? Don't answer, I am sure you are able to weasel your way out of that one with some pointless circular logic. Try if you want to.

"Not to offend you, but are you in the scientific community? "

Yes I am. I am actually a speaker on the issues of public awareness pertaining to evolution by natural selection. I deal with people like you everyday and work in close contact with people in the evolutionary science field. The "Genesis Flood" is laughed at in many closed-door meetings. Does that make it wrong? No. But most of the geology in that book is outdated and has long been refuted by modern instrumentation and techniques. Try reading a professional journal in the geological field. I assure you that it is not a conspiracy to believe the earth is older than 6,000 years old. Can you explain radioactive isotope decay? Please give me a link to one of your creationist websites that debunk the half-lives of the isotopes of elements such as uranium, potassium, and carbon. I would love to read them.

"Do you believe that our atmosphere has changed? Do you believe that organisms respond to their environments? Do you burn in the sun? Are you vulnerable to virus attacks?" I said this

"Yes, yes, yes, and yes. How is this evidence for evolution?" You said this

I can't believe that you cannot make a simple connection.

If climate and atmospheric composition changes, then do you think that might affect organic populations and reproduction processes. Lets see... organisms adapt to cold climates... it gets hotter... vegetation changes.... predator/prey relationships change.... diets change.... populations fluctuate.... mutations arise naturally... some beneficial.... extinctions occur...other species take over their niche... evolution!!! Change over time. Small incremental change over time, or punctuated equilibrium (long times of no change... rapid changes to climate induce rapid changes in phenotypes/genotypes).

Why are black people black? My skin burns more easily because of the lack of the pigment melanin. Black people and other clinal variants of populations that have darker skin possess an excess of this pigment to protect them from the harmful extra UV radiation where they evolved (near the equator). Caucasoids, such as myself, were evolving in cooler European climates that did not receive as much UV radiation. My skin lacks the excess pigment because I didn't need it - use it or lose it, so to speak. Of course this all took more than 6,000 years and doesn't take into account the tower of Babel - so I must be wrong.

"Charles
Darwin said the same thing.........140 years ago!
Fossils are not turning up everyday and this argument is and always will be the best argument
against evolution."

Wow!! A whole 140 years ago. That is, what, 3 human generations. You are right it is been around forever. It is about time to give up and just pack it in. Yes, fossils are being found. I hate to sound so arrogant and condescending, but do you read any professional journals? Do you read anything other than the biased information from the creationist websites? I read both sides and decide for myself. I will admit that the creationist side has found areas where science must improve their understanding. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Lets not throw away an entire field of study just because of gaps in the fossil record. Talk about pessimism!! Oh yeah, can you provide me with a link to the creationist rhetoric about dinosaurs. I would love to hear how the rationalize away organisms that were around 65 million years ago and further back. By the way, the Cambrian explosion of life that happened some 500 million years ago had been in the making 3 billion years. It was not that complexity just came from nowhere. For the record, soft tissue organisms, bacteria, and microbes don't fossilize very easily so of course there is a lack of them in the rock record.

"I am simply trying to
show the folly of your line of thinking."

Folly in my line of thinking? I would love to hear some opinions from the rest of the forum on this one. I have tried to explain to you in everyway possible how my line of thinking is rational and consistent with modern day scientific thinking. If I am proven wrong then I will admit that and change my thinking - will you? My guess is no. You would be shattered if you thought you were wrong and you can't even admit the possibility. By the way, who uses the word "folly". Sounds like a sports video. Sam Patterson's favorite evolution follies and bloopers - only 49.95 and will ensure instant salvation and the answers to all the really tough questions.

Admit you might be wrong and would change or what you say and believe is not science - and you know it.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins