Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Reply To Some Of The Doctor Laura Letter

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics
Posted by Aaron Viviano on May 14, 2002 02:02:31 UTC

Quote A. "When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?" No. 1. Scrafice isn't required anymore because Jesus was the ultimate sacrafice. 2. The odor of a proper sarafice is pleasing to the lord, not necessarly or required for man to have a similar opion of the smell. 3. "He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death." Exodus 21:12 KJV Basically a court will determine it not one person, no vigilanties allowed.

Quote B. "I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?" The actual text states this "And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do." First it is a servant not a slave, very different (a slave was called a bondservant). Second it says if a man does this he must not go out a a man servant would. The ideas of selling were different back then for servants, when one buys another mans daughter it is like getting a new permentant family member, but not a slave. Just look at Joshua and how great a man he was even though he was only a servent. Being a servant is much different back then and is deffinatly not a slave. It was a cultural thing, in which the man paid for the women service and kept the woman, but didn't own the woman or at lest treat them like slaves. Obviously this is just the Hebrew and surronding cultures. You couldn't sell her in this matter even if you wanted to because one doesn't sell daughters, also it doesn't say a man can (or can't) just if he does.

Quote C. "I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense. " This is simply a precautionary mesure set about by God to protect people from germs. Now that we have things that can kill the germs this law is no longer nesesary and there fore it doesn't need to be followed. If we didn't have these germ killers this law would still be in effect. As well as any other law which was put into place by God for the protection of humans from Germs, after a plague is usually a bad thing.

Quote D. "Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?" Let me put it this way. Neither. The owning of slaves is no longer legal both biblicaly and politicly. Yet again these rules passed away when Christ died and rose again ending the ability to own another person since all are equal under Christ.

Quote E. "I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?" Yet again Exodus 21:12. Also Chirst declared, Matthew 12:11-12, that the Sabbath was no longer important due to the fact that he said work can be done on the Sabbath. This effectivly kills any laws relating to working on the Sabbath, though it is still a good idea to have a day to spend time with the church and God.

Quote F. "A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?" All sin is equal. You will go to hell for the telling a white lie as well as the killing of millions of people. This is also a reason not to judge people since no matter what they have done we are all sinners in God's eyes.

I hope this helps still working on the rest.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins