Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yes. Explanation = Tautology

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on May 7, 2002 15:12:05 UTC

Hi Alan,

***So I ask: did he not then show the tautological structural framework of communicable (linkable) digital explanation (linking, networking) itself?***

My answer would be, Yes. That's exactly what he showed.

In my imagined scheme of how reality as we know it got started in the first place, we have this one-and-only consciousness (and that's all we have) which imagines things and then explains those imagined things to him/her/itself. If the explanations are correct, they must be a tautology since they are nothing more than a restatement of the original imagination.

The interesting thing, though, is that this consciousness may be surprised at some of the secondary effects of the imagined structures. Your example of Moire patterns is a good one.

Just as Benoit Mandelbrot could not possibly have imagined the details and intricacy of the Mandelbrot Set when he first imagined and tried out the generating function, I think that the fact that an explanation is a tautology in no way reduces it to simplicity or predictability.

Just some quick thoughts. Gotta run and head for the mountains.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins