Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Another Response

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on May 5, 2002 00:19:05 UTC

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to this forum. I don't think we have talked yet.

I am not sure I completely caught your point, but I think you overlooked a couple things.

First, in your discussion of the search for answers to questions, you mentioned science and religion as possible sources. I think you overlooked a third source.

In my view, science is without peer as the source of answers to questions about our physical universe and how it behaves.

When it comes to subjects that go beyond our physical universe, religion has claimed a corner on those questions for thousands of years. We have many reasons to doubt the veracity of those answers. They have not been all that useful or consistent.

A third source, which you failed to mention, is from within ourselves by contemplation and logical thinking. In my opinion, this source should replace organized religion as soon as possible.

The second thing you overlooked is the reason why the answers science provided should be considered superior to all other answers. That reason being the unrivaled success of science. Achievements such as landing a vehicle on an asteroid, building CD players, and building hydro-electric plants should convince us that no other source of such information is anywhere near as useful.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins