Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
To Infinity And Beyond...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on May 2, 2002 19:33:37 UTC

Pretty corny, eh?

You wrote -
"Actually, I was just trying to say that the level of moral responsibility is greater for humans, in general, than for the animals"

Response -
Since, in my opinion, humans are the beings responsible for the development of the idea of morals, then we should be held to a higher standard. We should hold ourselves to a higher standard when they are our rules to begin with.

You wrote -
"Wow, I didn't know that chimps shared that much info with succeeding generations. If you don't mind me asking, from what source did you find this info?"

Response -
You have to look no further than the work of Jane Goodall and her observations of chimps. I have also read a book entitled "Bonobo", which talks about the lives of the only other primate to walk upright. BTW, Bonobo's are the only other primates to engage in frontal copulation. If you read Carl Sagan's "Shadow's of Forgotten Ancestors" he also goes into similarities between humans and chimps (especially the chapter entitled, "Gangland"). It is common knowledge in the area of primatology that humans are not unique in their ability to be creative, show emotion, have culture, develop communication, have self-awareness, and maybe even reason. The only thing for sure that other animals have not been able to accomplish is put the earth on the brink of an extinction event, or manipulate the climate so that mega-fauna will no longer be able to adapt quickly enough for survival. That has been left up to humans. What am I going to do about it? Nothing. Sit around and make cynical comments as the world drifts along with the currents of time. Thank you very much.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins