Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Very Well, Let's Talk About Truth Statements

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on May 1, 2002 20:08:21 UTC

Boy, what a mouthful. I knew it would happen eventually, I'm finally beginning to feel the first twinges of frustration. Let's see if I can quell them. (it's always a bad sign when you have to read a post four times before writing a response) I feel bad writing such short replies to your novels, but I only have a few things to say this time:

It is incomplete when it comes to use statements. It is irrelevant as far as truth statements unless we accept precepts on faith. Since use statements themselves depend on some truth statements, the whole enterprise is built on faith.

Not exactly. Perhaps we disagree on the definition of faith, so let's check. I think that scientific "faith" and religious faith are two seperate things entirely. The truth statements that science is based off of are placeholders, and are freely admitted to be place holders. Science only goes into the realm of faith if you say that its truth statements are valid. I have never met one person who has done this. Ever. They KNOW that science is an evolving entity, with truth statements based off of the most use statements as possible, but ultimately a description.

Religious faith, on the other hand, bypasses evidence and claims their beliefs have genuine total accuracy in the outside world. This is flawed.

Why don't you agree that we can desribe truth statements through use statements? Even science's underlying truth statements change over time as new use statements are uncovered.

I'll write more later...

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins