Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Yes, You Should

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on April 29, 2002 18:53:53 UTC

Hi Mike,

***I think I know what a Necker cube is...but in a different dimension !***

Different from what? The name 'Necker Cube' is really a misnomer. It should be called the 'Necker Projection'. That is because it is really not a cube (3D) but a drawing (in 2D) of a particular projection of a cube. So, there are two different dimensions involved and these might be confused.

***I like that impossible pitcher...Should we depict these as optical illusions?***

Yes, absolutely. That's the whole idea. It is easy for us to draw 2D pictures on paper and it is just a little less easy to construct 3D figures in wire or plasticine, but there is no known way of constructing a 4D or higher figure. So, what we can do is construct 2D or 3D figures that give the "illusion" of a 4D figure. These could correctly be called "optical illusions".

***Do you need a supply of them?***

No, but thanks anyway.

***I can put some borrowed ones on my website if anyone asks.***

I would be very pleased to visit your web site. What is the URL?

***Second thought, can a person ( such as I am ) draw a picture of this in 2-D and then build it from my box of plastic straws ( have 1000s !) and placticine?***

Yes. Of course it depends on what you mean by "this".

***Are there different rules for workplace safety in different dimensions?***

Yes. The rules would be vastly different.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins