Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Don't Think So

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on April 26, 2002 16:33:25 UTC

Hi Scott,

I'm trying to get some work done but you guys keep talking to me! Well, that's OK, it's Friday and nobody's perfect anyway...

Could you please summarize the Ted K. manifesto.

I'm sorry Scott, I believe some ideas are not worth talking about, no matter how rational they are. Reason is more powerful than the heart, but when reason kills the heart it no longer serves any purpose.

I knew he had some unorthodox viewpoints about society and government

I think we all share many of his unorthodox viewpoints. Can you think of someone who's perfectly happy with society and government? I can't. So the question becomes, what are we going to do about it?

I am not in the same intellectual league as a Ted K. or even an Aurino Souza

I object! I hate it when people put me down, and I hate to see people putting themselves down. If you don't trust your own intelligence, who are you going to trust? Priests? Scientists? Politicians? The folks Harv calls "top minds"? Come on, get real, only you can answer your own questions, nobody else can do the thinking for you.

I do become depressed and sullen at the deep questioning I find myself engaging in. Life, God, philosophy, religion, the beginning, the end, where did we come from, where are we going, what is the purpose, why is there no purpose. All of these questions are not healthy to think about on a daily basis and I find myself caught up in expending lots of mental energy on the contemplation of these subjects. Am I alone?

No, you're not, but I can tell you that as you grow older things will fall into place and you'll be able to make sense of everything. Life is not complicated at all and those questions have very simple answers, it's just that you must learn to get rid of the intellectual garbage we all accumulate in our youth. Very often in life we fail to understand something because we think the answer must be too complex to be understood, when in fact the answer is too simple to be taken seriously.

Think about that.

As far as the other part of the discussion about intelligence... I don't think you can place any value on standardized testing, because it is only a reflection of your attitudes and environment at the time you are testing.

Here you are wrong. People who have high IQs have one definite advantage over the rest of us: they are very good at answering IQ tests. Don't you think that's an important skill? ;-)

See y'a

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins