Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Philosophically Speaking

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on April 25, 2002 00:05:37 UTC

Hey Michael -

You said -
"I wasn't aware that we weren't on civil speaking terms"

I guess I thought you were upset about the post where I said you were talking to yourself, and the whole chemistry and biology thing.

You said -

"Also, any evidence I post for the reason of my not believing in God would be unacceptable to you (and to me) for the same reasons that you gave for science being unable to test for God."

Try me! I would love to discuss that topic. Can I be a little cynical? Well, hell yes I can!! As long as we don't take each other too seriously, then I don't see why we can't. Nothing will probably be resolved, but nothing ever is. We are Americans!! We would rather debate problems than solve them.

You wrote -
"About philosophy, you're right. To say what philosophy means would be a hard thing to do. I guess my problem is (and maybe you can answer it for me), if it doesn't rely on logic, what good is it anyway?"

Without a philosophy then nobody would ever take a stand on anything. To me, philosophy is a way to live your life, to believe in something. It is also used as a way to logically prove or disprove ideas. I don't know what the textbook definition of philosophy is, but I do know that we don't have enough of it. People tend to not look at things philosophically enough. Or maybe I don't know what the hell I am talking about. At this point who really cares.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins