Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Moving Forward A Bit

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on April 24, 2002 14:53:27 UTC

Glad we are back on civil speaking terms...

You wrote -
"I never said they are proof of no God! But I have stated before that they are not proof of God. There is a difference."

Yes there is a huge difference between those two statements. You also said, in a joking manner to our resident dullard Clifford the friendly christian, that "you didn't come from no God". Were you saying in that statement that you are atheist? If so, are you using the current scientific evidence in cosmology as a ladder for those beliefs?

You wrote -
" Also, how does God fall outside of science but is well within the bounds of philosophy? They both rely on logic."

Science relies on empirical evidence. The funny thing is that the fist assumption of any scientific endeavor has to be that what we observe is reality. Science is flawed to a certain extint and it is been discussed in this forum at exhaustive lengths. The great thing about science is that you must have tangible evidence to support your claims. As others have stated, most of today's cosmology is based on mathematics that cannot be observed in the "real world" at this time. Do we throw it out the window? No. It is what we have for now, and it acts as a stepping stone to lead us further along, or it can be torn down in place of a new theory. Science cannot test for God, so to speak. God is intangible, or maybe God is tangible in the things that are all around us. Either way we cannot comprehend God with instrumentation or scientific methods. And when we try we see nothing is there. That is why religion and science cannot get along, because science can never validate the existence of God and if it tried it would have to say, "sorry, I don't see or hear anything".

As far as philosophy goes, I think it depends on your definition of the term philosophy. Is christianity a philosophy? Was Nazism a philosophy? Is the republican platform a philosophy? If so, then I think we can all agree that there are some illogical ideals in each of those areas.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins