Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Could Someone Have Found The Basic Error In My Thinking

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mike Pearson on April 23, 2002 09:32:31 UTC

Paul wrote:
"I don't agree. Our number system assumes nothing. Mathematicians who have formally developed our number systems have studiously avoided making any assumptions about our, or any, universe in defining our number systems."

Probably wasting my time here, but my clumsy use of "assumes" here made the number system itself the subject of the sentence. Of course, the number system itself cannot assume anything. And that leaves its human programmers, the mathematicians, as the likely intended subject.
But I did not mean them. I telescoped the grammar and concealed the meaning badly. You cannot extrapolate something so completely alien to your mind. It might be balderdash. Anyway, what is "arithmentically?"
So, while the Saudi's Al Quaida family allegedly plans to nuke the United States financial markets and then try to establish "Saudi justice"

here, some of us are thinking how relativity and curvature
contort and convolute the quantitative relationships denoting distance in a dimension-layered, multi-speed expanding universe.
And others of us are failing to use conventional jargon. Some are doing both !
What a waste of time.

Thanks for waking me up.
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins