Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
RE: Your Questions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on April 22, 2002 00:30:51 UTC

Hi Mike,

I realize that you have several questions that you are anxiously awaiting my response for, so I will get to the point.

Mike Pearson, being of sound mind, did write the following sentence that was directed toward one, Scott Abernathy.

"you're more of a propagandist than
a scholar yourself"

Aside from the fact that you did not capitalize the word "you're" even though you began a sentence with it, I still believe your sentence has no value or worth.
After I received this slanderous remark, I was prompted to send you a reply.

"That is a matter of opinion". Scott Abernathy's replay to said comments by Mike Pearson.

I believe you are trying to say that my information falls in line with "propaganda", rather than logical scientific conclusions or historical accuracy based on primary source documents. It is a matter of opinion whether or not what I utter is based on good logic or propaganda. I listen to Rush Limbaugh sometimes and I have heard him say that the scientific claims of global warming are vastly exaggerated and the scientists are propagandizing it to gain fame and notoriety for themselves. I have also read countless books, Silent Spring and The End of Nature to name a few, which say the evidence has been collected and the data confirm that carbon dioxide and methane levels are rising and more infrared radiation will be trapped in our atmosphere near the surface of the Earth. Who is spewing forth propaganda? Neither? Both? I tend to believe the scientists claims. How about you?

Mike Pearson also wrote the following comments that were meant to harm the credibility of one, Scott Abernathy.

"Were those errors inadvertent or do you actually not know how to spell and punctuate? To show you are not careless, you can always look up words in a dictionary. Punctuation can be learned in elementary school. Not to use good spelling and punctuation implies careless disregard, which does not strengthen your point, but weakens it, especially when there was almost no point to what you were saying in the first place."

I am sorry if people in this forum do not take me seriously because my spelling and punctuation lack certain sophistication. I frankly do not care what they think about my abilities to read and write. If I try to make a valid point or I have a serious question there are a few people here that will answer my question regardless of how I word my comments. The bottom line is that they don't care, and if they do care it is their problem and not mine. I don't care to take time to type properly. I don't care to make sure my punctuation is proper. What about "btw" and "nt"? Those are not proper to use in formal English, but those are accepted on a daily basis. I am not writing a term paper for the people in here. I am talking with my fingers. I am using everyday speak to convey my thoughts. You may ridicule and poke fun all you want, but I will not change - ever.

You asked me if I have a point, and I must reply with the following statement. I can't even remember what we were arguing about in the first place. I might not have even had a point to begin with. Who knows?

Mike Pearson wrote the following words in an eloquent array of nouns, gerunds, prepositions, verbs, and perfect subject verb agreement. You are master of our language and for that I applaud you. *Insert clap here*

"This is not an attack but an honest, sober appraisal with which I believe your higher self, if you have one, would concur."

When I write formally I most certainly take time out to edit my work. You are attacking me and everyone knows it, Mike. I do concur that my writing and thinking are sloppy in here at times. Most of the time it is on purpose or through no spell checking or revisions. There have been times when smart educators in here have thoughtfully pointed out errors in my thinking with very nice and well thought out posts (Dick, Yanniru, and Harv). It is then that I become better in my "real" life. I have learned lots of interesting things by being a part of this forum. From you I have learned absolutely nothing. Nada, zero, zilch, a big fat goose egg in the column for Mike in the learning department. A good teacher will always try and make someone understand why what they say is wrong, most of the time their efforts fall on deaf ears. I do believe you are a smart man, who could teach me something’s about your opinions and your beliefs, but you are not capable of teaching anyone anything. You are a rude person who is not playful with his insults or wit.

Try and use your intellect to make me understand where I am going wrong. If you don't then you obviously are not interested in discussion, but rather childish games, which I am willing to play all day long.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins