Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Great Post

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on April 17, 2002 15:03:33 UTC

As I read through that post I couldn't help but become mentally drawn to its conclusions. I think that is a great explanation. I am not sure how valid it is but I really think it explains things in simple terms. I do have a few comments that maybe some people could help clarify for me.

Paul wrote -
"Well, my simplistic but satisfactory answer to those questions is that we (the seemingly sentient things) are remote-controlled vehicles-with-sensors that are "driven" by the one-and-only consciousness in the sky"

When I process that statement it makes me think that not only are we "driven" by the one and only consciousness in the sky, but we are that consciousness. Collectively, all living forces, make up God, whatever that may be. One collective soul expressing itself through billions of different creations. Isn't that what eternal life really is - the progress of life. The immortality of living things through the process of reproduction, whether it is on earth or any other planets.

A question that arises out of that statement might be - If all life in the universe were to cease to exist, would God cease to exist? If living things collectively make up a universal soul, connected through our shared experience, would there be a "God" without that life force?

I am not sure if there is a "God" that it is separate of living things and vice versa. I think each is dependent upon the other.

Paul wrote -
"The one-and-only consciousness, on the other hand, when perceived from the perspective of the universe, is operating in a completely different dimension of time. And from this higher dimension of time, our earth-time is really a static dimension of space. "

I like the metaphorical talk, but I am still confused as to whether or not you are saying that the one-and-only consciousness is part of life or separate. If it is separate and operating on a different time scale then I must agree with the notion that free will doesn't exist. Even though you need a "driver" in the vehicle, it doesn't seem that it would matter because the two entities are separate. I think the only way for free will to exist is to think of "God" and life as being one and the same. Interconnected through experience - instead of one mind driving all "vehicles", you have one "vehicle" (God), being driven by all of life. What unites all of life is the ability to reproduce and pass along charateristics suitable for surviving environmental stresses. It must be like this everywhere in the universe, life would have to contend with any environment that it evolves in. So maybe the energy that makes up life, is like a collective God. All energy is connected through our shared quantum level biochemistry.

I wish I had more time to elaborate on what I am thinking. This were my thoughts as I read through the post, they are not fact nor am I saying they are fact.

Warning - The following is meant only for people who are willing to discuss ideas. It is purely speculation and conjecture. I have no proof, nor do I feel as though I need to provide any. Therefore, anyone reading the above post must take into consideration that I am providing my opinion, my take on the matter. Hopefully that is understood by all.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins