Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Some Opinions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on April 15, 2002 17:58:56 UTC

Good questions!

Can the belief in God every be rationalized with a true belief in the scientific method.

Sure it can, but what's the advantage of replacing one belief with another?

Has the advent of skepticism killed God?

Skepticism is not an advent, it's as old as belief itself. I would rather say that it is the advent of materialism, modern man's religion, that is incompatible with the concept of God. When people stop having fun with their technological toys the big questions will bite again, and some concept of God is required to answer the big questions (in case there is an answer)

Many prominent scientists today are openly athiestic...

What difference does that make? Are we going to let scientists dictate what is true?

Has science killed God?

I don't know about that. What I do know is that God has killed a lot of scientists...

That is not a joke. The real joke is this silly illusion of power and knowledge that science gives to so many people. It's completely unjustified. I never heard of someone worrying about science on their deathbeds. For the questions that pop up at that moment, science can only offer silence at best or despair at worst.

And if not, isn't it only through major rationalizations and justifications that we can rectify the differences between belief and skeptical attititudes?

All of us have to deal with those issues, but I can only relate my personal experience. What I have found is that, regarding those issues, rational thought takes you nowhere real. Reason is little more than a tool to help us make sense of what we already know, it can't reveal what you don't know. The only way to learn what you don't know is through experience. So I concluded that the truth about God belongs to the dead and the dead only. Anyone claiming to know about God who never died is, in my opinion, a liar.

Won't religious devotion always conflict with questioning and contemplation.

I'd rather say that religious devotion is a by-product of deep questioning and contemplation.

There is a question here. I would like to hear your opinions if you have any, or I would also like to see a step-by-step answer based in logic

Here are my opinions. I can't offer a logical argument and I take for granted that anyone who claims to have one is basically lying.

Sincerely,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins