Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Athiesm

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott Abernathy on April 15, 2002 17:42:55 UTC

From what I have read I believe Sagan was an atheist. If you have references to the contrary I would appreciate the information. I am almost positive that Darwin was an atheist, but again, it depends on the information that you read.

Science is not prepared are able to answer any questions on the existence of God, that I do understand fully, but my question was has science killed God. I think we are living in times where the rise in fundamentalist religions will threaten the very fabric of the scientific method. As far as I know there is only one true method - Observation - information gathering - hypothesis - testing and retesting - conclusions. What other scientific reasoning is there (maybe at the good colleges they teach "different" scientific methods). How could God stand up to this scrutiny? It can't, hence the rise of 'dark age' fundamental religion boasting.

You will have to face the fact, Harv, that just because you are smart and learned in the ways of science and rational thought doesn't mean the rest of the world is - they could care less. Science is the enemy because it has torn apart the fabric or religions foundation that we are special and unique creatures (apart from the rest of the world).

Metaphysics is good for a deep conjecture about life, but aside from that it is essentially pointless. Like Sagan said - Science is our candle in the dark. Without science we could not function without superstition - our brains wouldn't allow it; our primitive culture evolved that way. So has science taken over as our religion in this new age of information and technology? Maybe fundamentalism is a last gasp of air for a dying philosophy.

Scott

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins