Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Disagree... Somewhat

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on April 15, 2002 13:44:55 UTC

Hi Paul

First, we outnumber them by a factor of many thousands, so given the same distribution of geniuses and idiots, we have many more of each

That's not the feeling I get when I listen to music, read novels, visit art museums, and so on. At least as far as art is concerned, we live in the stupidest times ever. I have reason to believe the same goes for almost all other human endeavours, including science.

Second, we have the shoulders of all those past giants. We don't have to invent or discover everything all over again so our expectations for ourselves should be very high.

Somehow I think having shoulders to rest on makes people a bit lazy and over-confident. I'm of the opinion that our educational system is little more than an apparatus designed to control the masses by turning them into idiots (i.e., by teaching them not to think for themselves). I think it's really hard for an intelligent person to survive the intellectual massacre of our academic institutions.

But of course, that's just me.

Kind regards,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins