Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Can't 'proceed' To Be Coherent If You Won't Do The Work

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Residential on March 30, 2002 01:52:35 UTC

wrote:
"Perhaps 'God' is so ill-defined that it is impossibly vague and that we need definition everytime someone uses the word, but I don't think it falls into that category."

Nice but no dice, you bet, good luck!

Perhaps YOU think you can discuss big ticket questions without going to all that trouble of defining your main terms each tim (setting up shop before opening) but with those habits, COHERENCE is neither required nor usually present.
As an example of the difficulties raised by not defining your assumptions each time:
Have you ever heard of the theorems and postulates of algebra and geometry?
http://library.thinkquest.org/2647/geometry/intro/p&t.htm

Every one of them requires AND/OR provides assumptions and conditions…and before proceeding with a discussion, you must know if the other person is using the same assumptions and conditions. When these assumptions are conventional, they need not be stated…
When we come to the topic of “God“ -- most assumptions about “God“ vary from person to person. And therefore, I *#@-ing DECLARE you cannot even be discussing it coherently if you don‘t have these assumptions, conditions, conventions in place between the two persons conversing. And btw, you HAVE NOT been discussing it coherently. It pains me you don't feel the friendship inherent in my outlining this rather than merely offering you sweet phrases.

Yes, music is more important than philosophy... on some days, after your practical questions have been addressed with the advantage your mind gained by the previous round of music. But you must get this philosophy before you proceed to the heavenly realms, agnostic or otherwise.
You probably know this already and are employing blur only because you may be hostile for some reason I have never known. Deception DOES play a part in human and natural affairs, and I respect it. But it's subsidary to assembly and maintenance postulates and theorems.

It might seem like too much work. Do you realize that many fine shops you frequent must do setup work EVERY DAY to serve you? They cannot just
open the shop. They have to SET UP SHOP.
You have been neglecting this, and to mix a metaphor, you will never be able to get back to thinking soberly until you admit you have a drinking problem.

Mikeoke

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins