Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Interesting Way Of Posing The Question

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Residential on March 29, 2002 16:34:48 UTC

Yanniru wrote:
"Which religion are you referring to?"

I had said in that passage:
" there is a need for either side of a question to have a possible claim righteousness and a chance to have their claim considered fairly on in a controversy... "

I was referring, OF COURSE, to the life and sayings of Jesus. Seems to me this is the one clear case where the Deity is PROVING to everyone that the "group" or more powerful force may be in the wrong. It seems to say, take heart and persevere during their ignorance, for even the Deity can be badly treated while being in the right.

Yanniru wrote:
"My view is that almost every religion deals with this issue. It is a major theme in judiasm because they have suffered so much since Constantine. It is a major theme in Hinduism."

Oh well... in accordance with
http://www.astronomy.net/forums/god/messages/1.shtml?base=1317 which reads in part:
"Include references if possible (Bible, papers, historical documents, etc."

Responding to one at a time...do you really see that element in Judaism and Hinduism? (I admire some parts in both of them, by the way)

Realize, please, the following reference is supposed to be a softball question, like that posed by Larry King to a pretty Hollywood starlet,
but it has import.
Part I
First of all, it seems to me that when things go wrong in Jewish history, you have the voice of the Deity saying,"I told you not to do that. Now you're being punished." Of course we should not see it in too simplistic a way, for clearly the strictness of God's instructions to Jews prepares them to be a vigorous people. But it's not clear if you 'seriously entertain' some alternate explanations of history, such as that 'unjust acts by both sides lead to war, and that unjust acts may be reduced greatly by greatly increasing the coherence of civil systems and of education.'
Part II
Is it your position, Yanniru, that the Jewish hierarchy no longer supports its part in Jesus' being executed for blasphemy. Are you saying that deprival of his civil rights "for the greater good of the faith" would no longer represent the Orthodox position in Judaism? That would be a good step, but I don't know if it is true. You say you have converted to Judaism and in light of your question to me, please give an account
Part III
This from Bhagavad Gita exemplifies how the Deity feels about our question.
(Arjuna addressing Krishna):
Chapter 1 Texts 32-35
O Govinda, of what avail to us are kingdoms, happiness or even life itself when all those for whom we may desire them are now arrayed in this battlefield? O Madhusudana, when teachers, fathers, sons, grandfathers, maternal uncles, fathers-in-law, grandsons, brothers-in-law and all relatives are ready to give up their lives and properties and are standing before me, then why should I wish to kill them, though I may survive? O maintainer of all creatures, I am not prepared to fight with them even in exchange for the three worlds, let alone this earth.

Chapter 2 Text 2
( In reply to various questions including the question from Arjuna posed above)
The Supreme Person [Bhagavan] said: My dear Arjuna, how have these impurities come upon you? They are not at all befitting a man who knows the progressive values of life. They do not lead to higher planets, but to infamy.

Chapter 2 Text 11
The Blessed Lord said: While speaking learned words, you are mourning for what is not worthy of grief. Those who are wise lament neither for the living nor the dead.

Yanniru wrote:
"Which religion are you referring to?"
Probably it was very, very eminently clear, from the context, which religion I was discussing.
This raises the question in my mind as to whether you will be able to follow any further elaboration. But I tried anyway.

Something

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins