Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Probability

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on March 28, 2002 22:10:17 UTC

Harvey,

First I have to admit that your immediate response to the question was rather more erudite than mine.

Regarding probability, I am using a rather common sense definition that does not stand up to rigorous analysis. There of course are all sorts of ways to define probability of the existence of god. A god fearing person would even be afraid to reduce the awesomeness of god to a mere probability. But proof is a reduction as well.

So if we are to have an unbiased, common sense definition of the probability of the existence of god or a god, it first means that one must not be a complete believer. Then one may look at the evidence from theory and data (like revelation- which I take to be data) and in one's own mind decide if there is the liklihood of god's existence.

Since the best data is entirely subjective, a product of one's own experience, there is little opportunity for proof even though one's convictions could be very strong.

I feel like I have said nothing of importance.

Thanks for your responce.

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins