Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Information And Meaning

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on March 26, 2002 13:49:52 UTC

Alan,

I also came upon similar topics about the confusion of meaning and information, which is one of the reasons why I withdrew myself a little. Although, I'm not entirely convinced that everyone is talking about same concept of 'meaning'.

Generally, 'meaning' as I understand it can mean content (in terms of a movie or novel for example), or it can be applied to a human construct. For example, identity of an object (even a information-based object) requires it to be formulated as a human construct. Information theory requires a message to be a human construct whereas it isn't concerned about content. Without a human construct to represent the message, there can be no information theory.

In any case, information theory is mathematics and not philosophy. It has applications to communication systems (etc), but the application to philosophy is what concerns those who wish to say something about our senses and how we understand the world.

What I'm trying to do here is demonstrate that math by itself says nothing about the world. You have to interpret mathematics in terms of philosophy or science in order to make it meaningful to our world. Unfortunately that message isn't getting across here.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins