Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
To Elucidate

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on March 15, 2002 21:51:12 UTC

Forgive me for coming into this debate belatedly.

Let me illustrate what I mean (pun intended) by the following relationship (one suggested by you):

. I live in the United States.

In this sentence the word 'I' is defined, say in a dictionary
Also live is so defined
Also the United States is also so defined

And most of us have attached meaning to those definitions.

The sentence is then a relationship between already defined concepts or symbols.

The sentence does not redefine any of the previously defined symbols.

It instead is akin to an equation that defines (I use this word purposefully) a relationship between the symbols.

So my supposition is that you regard such relationships as definitions.

Then the process I use to catch a ball can be defined as a sequence of events that allow me to place my glove closer and closer to the flight path of the ball. But that is the name of the process. It does not describe the means that I used to get better and better information on where the ball is going.

Sooo---I tend to think of definitions and postulates and assumptions and axioms as basically the same thing, and the relationship between such concepts as relationships. But the one described above about where I live can also be a definition.

Where I need help is then to describe how the process of gathering information to catch a ball can also be thought of as shifting definitions. I would be very pleased if you could help me out in this way.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins