Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Metaphorically: The Quadratic Formula Cannot Be Reduced To A=b

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on March 11, 2002 18:49:22 UTC

R.D.Y.R. and Friends

I agree that was a great_ essay by Bronowski

There are some posts within the past few days
which I hope you have time to read and respond.
You raised some serious issues and I dealt with them rather throroughly
(not "very thoroughly"--just "rather thoroughly" )
and your point by point response has been earned, in my estimation.

Regarding the title of this post:
Your observation that secular science promotes honesty more than religion does may be right or wrong, depending on how it is applied.
There are cases where a=b but many cases where they don't. We should not draw any conclusions from many of our summaries and generalizations, including the one you made...because the generalization is only a bookmark or place-holder...and for example, the quadratic formula cannot be reduced that far with acceptable reliability. Remember the "quadratic formula?"
Anyone reading who is not into math much, but wants to know, can look it up in an algebra book...it will be there.

You and I have something general in common in the religious area, since one of my strong influences has been the former Harvard psychologist and Jew by upbringing, Richard Alpert (Baba Ram Dass).
In 1974, the book BE HERE NOW helped form what is still an important part of my core spiritual understanding -- that universality of the spiritual dimensions that is higher and better than most of our dogmas, and will be around a lot longer than our current way of expressing our dogmas. As you know, he referred to Buddhism and Hinduism a lot... but did not tell us that Jesus was not for Gentiles.
After reading that book, I especially liked trying to go "Beyond the Beyond the Beyond" in meditation...taking the "crisp trip" where you "risk" (in the comfort of your living room) leaving behind all mental constructs that trap you in this world, to go where mental constructs were originally invented...and then open another door and see what's outside that!
It's interesting what you say about religion and honesty... on the same day you talk about your extensive religious observances... Before asking further about your spiritual practices, I will await some replies to earlier posts...which I'm not sure you have taken time to read, certainly not to respond more than (in some instances) to mock.
Please pardon the word "mock"...I think it was simply accurate, not a sharp word spoken to you.

Sincerely,

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins