Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Manners, Please!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alan on March 9, 2002 23:42:09 UTC

I don't want to sound like a pretentious schoolteacher or something; but I can imagine if there was one here they would say" "manners, please!"

Mike: people come to forums like this looking for others to strongly challenge their ideas. Criticism is not taken personally but actually invited! (by some anyway).

I was a bit concerned when you seemed to be trying to discourage Yanniru from telling me what he really thought. If for example he ever thinks I'm talking nonsense I would rather know that than pretend otherwise.

I can not do much with pretence; but with real data/ information; I can progress.

Fortunately I think I can trust Yanniru not to pretend I'm doing O.K. if he thinks I'm up the wrong creek without a paddle! It would be terrible to be possibly up the wrong creek without a paddle and have everybody "too nice" to venture an opinion on the subject!

Example: Alexander thankfully tells us physics amateurs what he thinks and doesn't lie to us by humouring us. Same applies to Dr. Dick (speaking of Dr. Dick: the "Stafford Supernova" has exploded and it looks like it's partytime- will explain later. It looks like he has done what he says he's done allright.)

Please give Harv a break; he and Luis Hamburgh give folks a run for their money here; and when it costs money to be here it sure is doubly appreciated!

Now I sound all judgemental; sorry I'm just trying to place a bridge over troubled waters.

Harv: you might want to debate this, but suggest check out the debate I had with Yanniru which Paul got involved with too: there is no such thing as mental illness- the term is a metaphor for disaproved-of-behaviour. There is such a thing as disagreement over acceptable behaviour; but disagreements are not diseases. See also www.szasz.com for example read about psychiatry's "phlogiston".

peace

-dolphin

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins