Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Which Came First... People Or God? People I Think

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on November 4, 1999 21:34:09 UTC

Exactly. The use of God as an explanation for the universe ceases to be of relavence once you consider the notion that the universe is infinte. After all, a universe that has always existed, is just as inconceivable as a God that's always existed, who created the universe. According to the law of parsimony; if an explanation can be employed without the use of an "extra" element, that extra element should be eliminated from the theory in favor of... conciseness? (sorry. words of talking must to be getting better... soon), the use of God as an explanation should be removed.

I think the idea of a need for the begining of the universe was simply an assumption perpetuated by early people who lived in a world where everything had a begining and an end. The seasons occured in cycles, people and all living things existed - then came to an end. Naturally, our ancestors would assume the universe also had a beginning. I think that God is but merely a concept created by humans, and is nothing more than a magnification of man.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins