Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: God???

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul Rest/">Paul Rest on September 27, 1998 04:40:13 UTC

I think it is only proper to point out there are number of theories to explain where the Big Bang could have come from (and from what I've heard this general idea is gaining steam). One of the best I've heard to date was created by Lee Smolin, whose theory is that our Universe came from a sort of parent universe. I suggest you read his excellent book "Life of the Cosmos" if you want all the details but here's the basics: when a star collapses into a blackhole we do not know whether it will continue collapsing to a zero-dimensional object of infinite density (a singularity) or whether so other force (like quantum mechanics) takes over and prevents this final collapse. Instead the black hole would burst outward again only not back into our universe, but it would create a whole new region of spacetime. Very interesting stuff. Another thing is that at each of these "bounces" (as Smolin calls them) the standard model (that is the strengths of various forces, the masses of particles, and so forth) would change ever so slightly. Over time this would create a sort of survival of the fittest in the cosmos, the fittest being the universe that has the standard model that creates the most new universes.

-Paul

: If the Big Bang created the universe. Who or what created the Big Bang? Did a greater Big Bang create the (somewhat lesser) Big Bang that then created the universe? Did then a greater greater Big Bang create the greater Big Bang that created that Big Bang that created our universe?? As you can see this gets rather ambiguous! If the Big Bang doesn't need a creator then why does the universe(or humans)?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins