Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
More About 'not The Case'

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on February 18, 2002 15:06:26 UTC

Mike,

***H: You missed my point entirely. The issue is not what one should do. It is merely a clarification as to the meaning of words and how words acquire meaning. M: Are you using some methods learned from your reading about "clarifying?" The discussion seems "made up from scratch." Are you saying you have some field data you are systematically considering?***

What I am saying is that words acquire meaning by standardizing definitions based on shared experiences. Do you disagree?

***H: You seem to want to turn this into something else entirely. M: Still not sure what it is, so that's hard to comment upon...but you did state back to me what I have been saying...
that the words we use must sometimes be used
in precise ways according to standard or
provided definitions.***

I am not giving justification to people to call people names like you insinuated ("Now, thanks to Harv, his friends can call anyone 'evil' as long as they know what they mean. -- that's what you've been saying, Harv"). That's a ridiculous assertion.

***H:What is your motivation to do so? M: When you answer the questions above, I'll have some better idea what point I was missing. And Harv, would you please describe your experience or any claim you have to stature as a logical communicator? You seem to write pretty fluently and are fairly clear sometimes in physics but I missed any previous description of your background which could help me understand better what your paradigm is... Sorry for the imposition, but I did post my brief data after some harassment from Yan.***

Nah... But, I'll tell ya my favorite color if you want to know.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins