Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Partial Reply

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Alan on February 14, 2002 09:06:01 UTC

Hi, thanks for reply.

Have to leave this computer so very quickly:

Quoting:

"You and I do not think along the same lines at all. Fundamentally, you take the position of "witness"; in my head, "witness" carries absolutely no weight what so ever as there exists no way to differentiate between truth and delusion. The only "rational" position on such an issue is to ignore it."

According to a textbook on reasoning; to be "rational" is to be open to argument.

Your view is not logically consistent: if there were no way to differentiate between truth and delusion; then you have no way of knowing if that opinion of yours is wrong or not!

Such a view destroys itself!

I do not see any evidence to support that view.
Also; just as I do not have to agree with your political views to debate electrons with you; you need not agree with my "eyewitness claims" to debate electrons with me! (only I don't know a lot about electrons!)

Good point about Gamow's books: I didn't think about all those quantum superposed tigers attacking Mr. Tomkins on his elephant as not being properly described due to ignoring molecular structure aspects!

I've been given my marching orders to get off this computer; so have to finish this reply later. But now 2 mathematicians have the disk; one seemed to cotton on immediately to your "attack" on the problem but I will have to wait and see what happens.

Best wishes,

-dolphin

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins