Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Y'all Are "funnin'" Me, Right? Oops, That Is An Undefined Term.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on February 13, 2002 19:37:32 UTC

Dr. Dick, Harv, Wright, and sometimes Y.
(plus A, C,G,T and sometimes U)
And ALL The Fine Correspondents Here
The following is why I think the the "double-standard moaning" that certain members do here about "nuance manners" is "beside the point."

Posted at:
http://www.bio.net/hypermail/bio-info/bio-info.199701/0187.html

"Because of information technology,
artificial (man-made) selection _is_ beginning to replace natural selection as driving force of evolution. And it's happening 10,000 times faster than natural selection.
Who's driving?

"That is not to say natural selection was worse or better. Knowing the details of natural selection is the key to comprehending artifical selection.
"Biologists (now) have even more responsibility to comprehend and advise policy makers,
BECAUSE
A human-and-technology information-driven *phenomenon* is occurring in our times whereby in a few short generations, natural selection is run over by bulldozers etc.
and specie become extinct in great numbers
--even though they had been well-suited
to their habitat and climates.
Cataclysms are part of natural selection
but surely a "Great mass Species extinction"
driven by information systems, is special.

(snip)

"But with humans, now, artificial processes --some based on abstract *mis*information as well as abstract *information*-- are having great consequences for specie and ecosystems."

Dr. Dick
I agree with your observation that definitions are circular but the more words you know, the wider the circle (in a sense that can be quite useful in the whole universe.
It's quiet daring to deconstruct the dictionary, and was seen as a prelude to the events
of the 1940s -- in case you like that sort of thing.
Religionists may say," I won'd believe evolution unless you can do it on my desktop.
A scientist could respond to your deconstruction
with,"Use that to found a valid science and we'll be impressed." For you are running counter to SOME who advanced or founded modern science.

I'm not aware of your elementary school record,
though you implied I am. Maybe Yanniru has you thinking I'm a spook. But I am a spook-ee -- If you have detected spooks on the phone line with me, I didn't authorize them -- they've been around since John Lennon and Jesus were first followed...and the Weavers. But if the way they treat me is the way they treat their spooks, it's one more reason to abandon ship.

You, Dr. Dick, were a little gruff with some of us...even to the point of teasing. But at least you don't cry because of misinterpreting what was written, thinking it applied to you...because that's MY Schtick. I'm willing to trade it for some more dinosaur jokes, like:

If you eat petrified Gingko, it helps you think more clearly about the Age of the Dinosaurs.
The other folks seem to think I said the posters here are obtuse...even after I defined all the contributors here as being the "non-obtuse" in *my* version of the silly, fingerpainted universe.
Oh well, everybody mus' ge' stoned...

Anyway, I now have only one more post after this to send in the next six days. Please feel free to
ignore me most days in the math.net chat room
7 a.m. and 6 p.m. PST.
If I'm not there when you arrive, you can talk to yourself. That's what I do.

Everybody must get stoned, eh?

Love to all, Valentines and Warm Fuzzy, Misty-Strangely Doe-Eyed Smiles Til You will all want me to just go away for a while....

Mike Pearson

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins