Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Attention Bram

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Lee on November 2, 1999 21:05:50 UTC

I pity you Bram. Nonetheless... I consider scientific facts to be well established conclusions based on data collect via the scientific method. Observations are tied together in rational mechanism called a theory. I don't assert that all of science is absolutely correct, but we more closely approach the truth all the time. The bible is not based on science, but instead on mere speculation. You see, people in history tried to piece together what their world was like the only way they knew how. Thus I take the bible to be mere fiction based on scanty slivers of truth, not to be taken literally.

"Are you asking whether all of the above could be accomplished without God's assistance when the whole of the story is based on the will of God? If this is the gist of your question, it is really irrational. If God is real, why could he cause and or assist all the above results that you ask? Please answer!!"

You begin are argument already assuming that God exists. A poor approach indeed, because as such it is revealed who is truely being irrational. I'm saying that since all the things necessary for the arc story to be true (all animals, plants, food to feed them, in the world need to fit in 50 square cubits or so), it's physically impossible. Your argument is essentially, God can do anything, which frankly is a circular argument. Furthermore, science can explain what probably happened, at best religion can say only that God can achieve all in ways that are impossible for humans to comprehend. Is it better to believe in something that can actually be explained rationally, or some hocus pocus mystery that we can't understand because you say so. I was merely showing how implausible this story is if you examine the facts.

So there you have it, and honestly, I really don't care if you reply or not because I doubt you can provide a satisfactory reply anyway. The bible is fictional, at least creationist acknowledge that it is exaggerated to some degree.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins